Michael Shacklock - Lower Quarter Neurodynamics I
Location : Stanford UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS DEPT. , CA
Continuing Education Experiences :
Lower Quarter Neurodynamics 1 - June 3rd /June 4TH, 2018
** Includes Course/Lab, Course handouts, Light Continental Breakfast with Coffee, Lunch, & Networking experience complete with H'orderves and Drinks (one per 2-day course).
Cost : SOLD OUT!!
CEUs - 1.3 PT / Chiropractor / ATC (13 Contact hours)
STUDENT FACULTY RATIO 16:1 // COURSE LEVEL : BEGINNER
INSTRUCTION PROVIDED : LECTURE / LAB.
Hotels - Discounted rates available - click button below.
About Michael Shacklock :
- Founder of the concept of neurodynamics in physiotherapy/ manual therapy, 1995
- Director and Founder of Neurodynamic Solutions (NDS) for the express purpose of disseminating and developing improved knowledge of neurodynamics in clinical practice.
- Graduated 1980 Auckland Technical Institute (now Auckland University of Technology)
- Graduate Diploma in Advanced Manipulative Therapy 1989, University of South Australia, Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Master of Applied Science, University of South Australia 1993
- Dissertation on neurodynamic sequencing
- Fellow of the Australian College of Physiotherapists (by original contribution, monograph), 2007, under the auspices of the Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Has worked as staff physiotherapist in public hospitals in New Zealand and is currently a private practising musculoskeletal and consultant physiotherapist at Flex Clinic, CumberlandPark, South Australia
- Has given, and continues to give, numerous keynote and other invited presentations at international conferences around world.
Published in :
- Spine, Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, Physiotherapy (scholarly paper), Australian Journal of Physiotherapy (leading article)
- Manual Therapy (editorial and case study), New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy (invited paper), Grieve’s Modern Manual Therapy, invited contribution, Manuelle Therapie (German), other translated works into Spanish and French
Books Published :
- Shacklock M (Ed.) 2007 Biomechanics of the Nervous System: Breig revisited.Neurodynamic Solutions, Adelaide, Australia
- Shacklock M 2005 Clinical Neurodynamics: a new system of musculoskeletal treatment, Elsevier, Oxford, successful peer review by Australian College ofPhysiotherapists (2007)
COURSE DESCRIPTION :
This practical lower quarter hands-on course takes the therapist from the old concepts of neural tension to a new concept of neurodynamics. Shacklock’s lower quarter neurodynamic concept is presented clearly and methodically and offers the clinician new techniques for diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal problems with an lower quarter neural component. The Shacklock concept helps the therapist select and perform new diagnostic and treatment techniques without provoking symptoms and progresses from the highly restricted patient to the athlete. These are illustrated with practical demonstrations and real-time imaging videos of neural movement techniques, collected exclusively by Michael Shacklock and the Neurodynamic Solutions (NDS) faculty. Key features of the courses include:
‣ lab/practical sessions with demonstrations and practising of techniques
‣ new neural testing and treatment techniques
‣ new systematic diagnosis and treatment approach
‣ integration of neural techniques with the musculoskeletal system
‣ systematic progressions from low to high levels of performance
‣ scientific support with evidence based research and real-time videos of nerve movement.
Continuing Education Itinerary :
- manual skills, specifically the ability to feel abnormalities in movement related to the nervous system in the lower quarter
- abilities in diagnosis and interpretation of lower quarter neurodynamic testing and musculoskeletal relationships
- clinician’s repertoire of diagnosis and treatment of techniques
- safety in relation to clinical neurodynamics
- apply clinical neurodynamics in the context of the research evidence.
JUNE 3RD, 2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
8:30 - 10:30 - Concept of neurodynamics - convergence, sliding, tensioning, neurodynamic sequencing, linking mechanics and physiology, neurodynamic tests
10:30-10:45 Morning break
10:45 - 12:30 - Nerve palpation - piriformis and sciatic nerve, tibial, peroneal, sural, and saphenous.
12:30-1:30 Lunch (provided)
1:30-3:00 - Neurodynamic testing - straight leg raise, prone knee bend, femoral slump tibial, peroneal and sural nerves.
3:00-3:15 - Break
3:15 - 5:30 Diagnosis with neurodynamic tests - positive, negative, normal, abnormal, covert, overt planning physical examination and treatment - levels 0, 1, 2, 3a, b, c, d
6:00 PM - Complimentary Networking Experience included with Drinks / H'or Derves after class. - Location: Dan Gordon's.
JUNE 4th, 2018 - 8:30 am - 5.00 pm
8:45 -9:00 Continental Breakfast & Registration
9:00-10:00 Diagnostic categories - interface - reduced closing, reduced opening, neural tension, neural sliding, & pathophysiological dysfunctions.
10:00-10:30 Method of treatment - pathophysiology, path mechanics & progressional systems.
10:30-10:45 Morning Break
10:45-12:30 Treatment - low back pain and lumbar radiculopathy, opening and closing dysfunctions, neural tension dysfunction, neural sliding dysfunctions (cephalad, caudal)
12:30-1:30 Lunch (Provided)
1:30-3:00 Treatment - Piriformis syndrome/hip pain, hamstring injury.
3:15-5.00 Treatment - knee pain, closing sliders, tensioners, neural massagers, foot/heel pain/tarsal tunnel syndrome, openers and closers, sliders and tensioners.