Management of the ACL-injured athlete - Practical rehabilitation strategies for successful return to play With Sylvia Czuppon PT, DPT, OCS & Carol Mack DPT, SCS, CSCS
Dates: Sept 29th, 2018
LOCATION : rHYTHMS eVENT center, las Vegas, NV
Instructors: Sylvia Czuppon DPT, OCS & Carol Mack DPT, SCS, CSCS.
What's Included? cOURSE, ONE NIGHT HOTEL (MGM signature (ELITE) /grand (SOCIAL), Handouts, Catered food (Breakfast/LUNCH), & Jetset's famous Networking Mixer.
Cost : $699.99 (eARLY BIRD PRICING Thru 7/15/2018) .
CEUs : CA CEUs 7.5 Contact hours / 0.75 CEUs.
Course type : lECTURE / lAB
iNSTRUCTOR /sTUDENT RATIO : 16:1
- Recognize movement impairments associated with non-contact ACL injury.
Identify common elements of successful ACL injury prevention programs.
- Understand the role of motor learning in rehabilitation or prevention of ACL injury, and discuss implementation of various strategies in ACL injury rehabilitation and prevention programs
- Identify appropriate interventions for the rehabilitation of patients immediately after ACL injury or reconstruction and appropriate progressions from the acute phase
- Outline evidence-based return to sport criteria for soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, and skiing.
- Understand psychosocial factors that may impact an athlete’s outcome after ACL injury or reconstructive surgery.
- Understand unique needs in ACL injury rehabilitation and injury prevention for the pediatric population.
- Utilize phone and tablet-based applications for motion analysis of athletes.
Course Schedule :
7:30 am - 800 am - Continental Breakfast with Coffee.
8:00 - 8:35: Welcome & Introduction
- Epidemiology of ACL injuries (adolescent / adult focus)
- Risk factors, including movement impairments associated with non- contact ACL injury
- Risk of re-injury or injury of contralateral knee
- Treatment options
a. Indications and outcomes of surgical vs. conservative management
b. Graft considerations: patellar tendon, hamstring, allograft
c. Considerations for concomitant injury: meniscus, cartilage, other ligament injury.
8:35-10:00: LAB- Modifiable Injury Risk factors
a. Movement exam and screening
b. Posture, muscle length and strength
c. Structural considerations: hip anteversion, tibial torsion
10:00-10:15 - Break
10:15-11:25 Rehab Progressions: Acute and Subacute Phase
- Pre-operative considerations ("pre-habilitation")
- Immediate post-operative phase (impairment-based)
a. Range of motion
b. Quadriceps function
d. Restoration of gait pattern
- Subacute phase
- Criteria-based progressions and goals
11:25-11:45 Other rehabilitation considerations
- Post-operative bracing
- Open vs closed chain strengthening
- Asymmetric loading after ACL reconstruction
- Psychosocial factors
- Address modifiable re-injury risk factors
- Sport-specific training
11:45-12:45 CATERED LUNCH (SOCIAL DISCUSSION, Q&A)
12:45-1:15 Return to Sport I
a. Evidence-based criteria for return to sport
b. Return to running
c. Return to sprinting
d. Return to cutting
1:15-2:15 LAB- motion analysis and functional testing
- Running gait analysis,
- Sprint assessment,
- Motion analysis and application:
a. Drop vertical jump
b. Lateral cutting maneuvers
c. Single leg jumping and landing
2:15-2:45 LAB- sport-specific motion analysis and functional testing
a. Functional testing
b. Sport-specific drills
3:00-3:15 Practical progression from clinic to the field: what to do when you can’t go to practice with the athlete.
3:15-5:00: Return to sport II
a. Soccer, basketball, volleyball, football, skiing
XV. 5:00-6:30 Q&A / Course wrap - up / Networking Hour with Complimentary Drinks / Appetizers
aBOUT THE INSTRUCTORS :
Sylvia Czuppon PT, DPT, OCS - Sylvia Czuppon, PT, DPT, OCS, is an Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Orthopaedic Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine. She is a board certified clinical specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy. She divides time between outpatient clinical practice treating musculoskeletal pain patients and teaching orthopaedic content in the professional DPT curriculum at Washington University. Dr Czuppon is also a researcher having been published in JOSPT and the British Journal of Sports Medicine. Dr. Czuppon received her Master of Science in Physical Therapy and her clinical Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Washington University.
Carol Mack PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS - Carol Ferkovic Mack, PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS is the owner of CLE Sports PT & Performance in Cleveland, Ohio. Carol graduated from Duquesne University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program in 2006 after playing four years of varsity soccer. She is a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy specializing in end-stage rehabilitation of soccer athletes, female athletes, and runners. Carol is also a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist. Carol is currently Chair of the Female Athlete Special Interest Group through the Sports Physical Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association and Content Editor of the Sports Section website. She is a member of the United States Olympic Committee’s Volunteer Medical Staff. Carol was previously a Physical Therapist at Cleveland Clinic’s Sports Health Center, where she was chair of Cleveland Clinic’s “Match Fit” soccer performance enhancement and injury risk reduction program and co-director of Cleveland Clinic’s Sports Physical Therapy Residency.
***Cancellation Policy -
If a course does not fill accordingly we reserve the right to cancel the course. In the event an instructor cancels and/or is unable to come for a course. JetSet Rehab Education LLC will attempt to notify all course participants of changes in the curriculum or course. In the event of any such course cancellation, the course of the cost (location of instruction, Handout fees, course instructor costs) will be refunded to participants. However, we always invite our clients to "Stay after Class" and as such, your JetSet Hotel and Package experiences will still be provided to you at their allotted cost. Additionally, for participants signing up and needing to cancel, please keep in mind you have until 30 days prior to class to do so (minus credit card / processing fees). After this time, the course will be non-Refundable. Should you have further questions, please contact us.